A sign of ecosystem maturity or that downturns only exist when engineers get laid off, too?
It’s a weird time in Canadian tech.
“I’m just concerned about finding tech talent.”
Seemingly every day, BetaKit is writing new stories about ‘macroeconomic headwinds’ and layoffs. And yet, prompted by a single tweet, we’ve also published a list of over 350 companies actively looking to hire Canadian tech talent.
At the time of this podcast’s recording, only one week after the article’s publication, it’s one of our most popular stories of the year (surrounded by those aforementioned layoff stories).
So what the hell is going on? Is it the best of times, worst of times, or one endless blurst?
To help us figure that out, on this week’s podcast we have Nora Jenkins Townson, founder of HR consultancy Bright + Early, and Meagan Simpson, Senior Editor at BetaKit.
On the podcast, we talk about:
- the state of layoffs (and the state of reporting on layoffs)
- what prompted the initial tweet and the resulting article post
- whether or not Canadian tech companies have gotten better at layoffs
- what explains the current hiring push
- insights from the accumulated hiring article data
- and the current hiring / salary expectations
Let’s dig in.
The BetaKit Podcast is hosted by Douglas Soltys & Rob Kenedi. Edited by Kattie Laur. Sponsored by Linebox.