An email list is essential for any business looking to expand its reach, establish brand awareness, and increase revenue. However, I know many entrepreneurs struggle to create and grow their email lists. In this article, I will share how to create an email list and answer other related questions. We’ll cover:
- How to create an email list?
- What kinds of email lists are there?
- How do you make money off your list?
- What are the biggest mistakes people make with their email lists?
- What are the best list-building strategies?
- What is the Ultimate Guide to Email Marketing course?
If you have ever wondered how to create an email list for your small business, keep reading.
How to Create an Email List?
People often ask me how to create an email list for their small business. It’s such a popular question that I have even created a full course devoted to the topic called the Ultimate Guide to Email Marketing! I’ll tell you more about that below, but right now, I want to dive into how to create an email list. To make it simple, I’ve boiled it down to a 3-step formula.
Step 1: Choose a Platform for Managing Your Email List
The first step in creating an email list is to choose a platform for managing your email list. There are various platforms available that allow you to manage your email list and send emails to your subscribers. Some platforms offer advanced features, such as automation and segmentation, while others are more basic.
When choosing a platform, consider your budget, the features you need, and the size of your email list. Some platforms offer free plans for small businesses with limited subscribers. Others provide more advanced features for a higher price.
Step 2: Create a Lead Magnet
The next step in creating an email list is to create a lead magnet. A lead magnet is a valuable piece of content that you offer in exchange for a visitor’s email address. Examples of lead magnets include e-books, checklists, templates, and free trials.
When creating a lead magnet, consider your target audience and what content would be most valuable to them. Ensure your lead magnet is high-quality and provides real value to your subscribers.
Step 3: Add Opt-In Forms to Your Website
The final step in creating an email list is to add opt-in forms to your website. Opt-in forms are forms that allow visitors to subscribe to your email list. Many types of opt-in forms exist, including pop-ups, slide-ins, and inline forms.
When adding opt-in forms to your website, consider the placement and design. Make sure your opt-in forms are easy to find and visually appealing. You can also experiment with different forms to see which ones work best for your audience.
Following this 3-step formula, you can create an email list to grow your small business. Remember to choose a platform that fits your needs, make a valuable lead magnet, and add opt-in forms to your website to attract subscribers. With time and effort, your email list can become a valuable asset for your small business.
What Kinds of Email Lists Are There?
There are different types of email lists that small businesses can create. The most common types include:
- Newsletter Subscribers: This is a list of people who have signed up to receive regular updates from your business. Newsletters can share company news, new products, promotions, and other relevant information.
- Lead Magnet Subscribers: This is a list of people who have opted-in to receive a specific lead magnet, such as a free e-book, guide, or template.
- Customer Email List: This is a list of customers who have purchased your products or services. These subscribers have already shown interest in your business and you can use emails to prompt them to buy from you again.
- Event Attendees: This is a list of people who have attended an event hosted by your business, such as a webinar or conference.
How Do You Make Money Off Your List?
There are several ways to monetize your email list, including:
- Selling Products or Services: One of the most effective ways to make money from your email list is to promote your products or services. You can send targeted email campaigns to your subscribers promoting new products, discounts, or exclusive offers.
- Affiliate Marketing: Affiliate marketing involves promoting other people’s products or services to your email list and earning a commission for any sales made through your affiliate link.
- Sponsored Emails: You can also monetize your email list by partnering with other businesses to send sponsored emails to your subscribers. This involves promoting another business’s products or services in your email campaigns in exchange for payment.
What Are the Biggest Mistakes People Make with Their Email Lists?
While email lists can be a powerful tool for growing your small business, there are common mistakes that many entrepreneurs make. These include:
- Not Providing Value: Your subscribers have permitted you to send them emails, so ensuring your emails are valuable and relevant is essential. If your emails are too promotional or don’t provide any value to your subscribers, they may unsubscribe from your list.
- Sending Too Many Emails: Finding the right balance regarding email frequency is important. If you send too many emails, your subscribers may become overwhelmed and unsubscribe from your list. On the other hand, if you don’t send enough emails, your subscribers may forget about your business.
- Not Segmenting Your List: Segmenting your email list involves dividing it into smaller groups based on interests, behavior, or demographics. Not segmenting your list can result in sending irrelevant emails to subscribers, which can lead to lower engagement and higher unsubscribe rates.
- Not Personalizing Your Emails: Personalizing your emails by using subscribers’ names and sending targeted content can improve open rates and engagement. Failing to personalize your emails can make them feel generic and uninteresting, leading to lower engagement rates.
- Not Having Clear Calls to Action: Every email you send should have a clear call to action that tells your subscribers what you want them to do next. Failing to include a call to action can result in missed opportunities to drive sales and engagement.
What Are the Best Link Building Strategies?
Here are some of the most effective list-building strategies that small businesses can use:
- Offer a Lead Magnet: A lead magnet is a valuable piece of content that you offer in exchange for a visitor’s email address. Examples of lead magnets include e-books, checklists, templates, and free trials.
- Use Pop-Ups: Pop-ups are attention-grabbing forms on your website and encourage visitors to subscribe to your email list. They can be triggered by different actions, such as scrolling or clicking on a specific button.
- Host a Giveaway: Hosting a giveaway is a fun and effective way to grow your email list. You can offer a prize or discount in exchange for people’s email addresses.
- Utilize Social Media: Social media is an excellent way to reach new potential subscribers. You can promote your lead magnet or offer exclusive content to your social media followers in exchange for their email addresses.
- Attend Events: Events such as trade shows or conferences can help you connect with potential subscribers and collect email addresses in person.
- Use Referral Marketing: Referral marketing incentivizes your existing subscribers to refer their friends and family to your email list. This can be done by offering discounts or exclusive content to those who refer new subscribers.
What Is the Ultimate Guide to Email Marketing Course?
The Ultimate Guide to Email Marketing is a 6-week course where you’ll learn step-by-step how to create an email list and use email marketing to grow your small business. If you want to learn all my insider secrets and jump into email marketing FAST, this course is for you! In it, I go even deeper into how to create and use an email list effectively. We cover:
- Getting started with email marketing
- Building a powerful and effective email list
- Creating and sending emails that sell
- Avoiding common pitfalls and running successful email campaigns
- Building effective sales funnels and nurture campaigns
- Driving traffic to your sales funnel using proven techniques
If you’ve found this article helpful and want to dive deeper and achieve more with your email marketing, check it out and enroll today.
How to Create an Email List – Final Thoughts
In conclusion, building an email list is essential to growing your small business. By creating targeted email lists, you can reach potential customers, stay in touch with existing ones, and drive revenue. No matter your product or industry, you need to have a list and know how to use it effectively.
This article on how to create an email list is the second in a series about email marketing. If you missed part 1, check it out here! And stay tuned for next time when I will share 10 of my favorite email marketing best practices.